Will he join NDA & rock mahagathbandhan boat? Nitish is keeping everybody guessing. From supporting Modi on demonetization to Ram Nath Kovind to GST, he has maintained a different view point from his alliance partners. Relations look strained. Nitish is enjoying this game of chess. The decision is difficult one to take as he remains CM in both cases. It is the other factors which will decide which way he goes.
Here are the pros and cons of him joining NDA.
|– JDU becomes senior partner of alliance
– Nitish retains his clean image which is being impacted by Lalu’s family corruption cases
– Nitish attains a statesman figure in national politics
– Gets rid of constant bickering with RJD & arm twisting by Lalu
– Gets foothold into upper caste vote bank of BJP
– Good relations with centre will mean more funds for development of state
– 2020 win likely sealed & more MPs from party in 2019
|– Nitish will be labelled opportunist
– JDU loses non-alignment flexibility (now it is providing issue based support to NDA/UPA)
– Nitish kills his PM ambitions
– JDU may face internal revolt led by Sharad Yadav (minor though)
– Nitish becomes susceptible to arm twisting tactics of Modi-Shah & loses independence
– JDU risks losing minority votes to RJD
– JDU risks transferring Kurmi/OBC votes to BJP in medium to long term
Let’s see what the wily fox decides. He has a history of ditching people – VP Singh / Lalu, George Fernandes, Sharad Yadav, BJP and may be Lalu again….
Image Credit: www.zeenews.com