- July 23, 2016
Fondly known as ‘Netaji’ by his supporters, Mulayam Singh has maintained his stronghold in Uttar Pradesh for quite a long time. MSY belongs to the Yadav sub caste froming part of OBC.
Apart from the scams and some controversial statements by him in the past, Mulayam Singh is quite loved among the people especially Yadavs / OBCs and Akhilesh Yadav is doing a good job in development however failed in maintaining law and order.
Here are 10 facts about Mulayam Singh-
1. Mulayam Singh Yadav, former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh and founder of the Samajwadi party was born on November 22, 1939.
2. Mulayam is an ardent follower of Socialist leader Raj Narain who defeated Indira Gandhi in the 1977 Lok Sabha Elections from Rae Bareli constituency. In fact he was politically nurtured by leaders like Raj Narain and Ram Manohar Lohia.
3. Before entering the political fray, Mulayam was a teacher with a passion in wrestling (famous as a ‘pehelwan’ or body builder) but he rose to high political ranks at a very early age.
4.He has been elected three times as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh – from – 1989 – 1991, 1993- 1995 and 2003- 2007.
5. Netaji has good education qualification. He has completed his Bachelors in Art, B.T and M. A in Political Science from K K College in Etawah, A K Colllge in Shikohabad and B R College of Agra University, Agra, respectively.
6. He holds a record of winning almost all the elections he has ever contested. In the UP Assembly elections he won in 1974, 1977, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2004 and 2007.
Image credit: www.indianexpress.com
7. 1989 to 1991- Became chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, for the first time. This was when he ordered security forces to fire at a mob which tried to bring down the Babri mosque, forever earning the gratitude of the Muslim community.
8. His indomitable energy and ability to mix with ordinary folks quickly won him numerous admirers (Amitabh Bachchan, Subroto Roy of Sahara fame). Aides recount tales of Mulayam stopping by roadside eateries to chat with commoners.
9. His government has been good to farmers who are the major voters. He made irrigation from canals totally free. Students previously used to get berozgari bhatta (unemployment allowance) in his tenure.
10. He has a very strong rapport with Muslim community in UP. It is seen in UP that Muslims vote together for a single party or candidate. Their votes seldom get divided among diff parties. Added to it, his base is Yadav community which has a big presence in UP. This together forms a formidable MY combination.
Mulayam made his son Akhilesh CM in 2012 to focus on national politics. He nurses prime ministerial ambitions. If Deve Gowda can, why can’t he? His dream failed badly in 2014 LS polls when his party could win only 5 LS seats from UP.
He is accused of encouraging dynastic politics and his brothers, son, daughter in law, sons of his brothers are big leaders in Samajwadi Party. He is known to have a big heart as recently evidenced by re-admission of Beni Prasad Verma and Amar Singh into the party. Only time will tell what 2017 has in store for him and his party. Fighting with their back to the wall.
Post a Comment