- October 12, 2016
Image Credit: www.dnaindia.com
Kunwar Jitin Prasada (born 29 November 1973), a banker turned, politician in the Congress Party, served in the Government of India as one of the youngest minister from 2004-2010. Elected from Shahjahanpur in Uttar Pradesh, a state which sends the most lawmakers to Parliament and where his Congress party was once the dominant political force, Prasada had to work hard to retain the constituency of his late father Jitendra Prasad.
In line with Prashant Kishor strategy of announcing a Brahmin CM candidate for Uttar Pradesh, his name was also discussed. However due to the fact that he is considered a bahari in the state with less grass root support he was not chosen and Shiela Dixit was given the go ahead.
10 Interesting facts about the Congress-man:
1. In his first tenure as Member of the Parliament Jitin Prasada was inducted as Minister of State for Steel and was one of the youngest minister in the Cabinet(April 2008).
2. He studied at The Doon School, Dehradun and did his B.Com.(Hons) from the Sri Ram College of Commerece, Delhi University and completed his MBA from IMI, New Delhi.
3. He is the son of the late Jitendra Prasad, who was a former minister GOI and political advisor to Rajiv Gandhi and Narasimha Rao.
4. His family background has both royalty and culture as has grandmother was the princess of Kapurthala in Punjab.
5. In 2004 he was an MP and within three years a minister: the youngest in Manmohan Singh’s Cabinet.
6. There is also a Tagore connection. His great grandmother is Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore’s niece.
7. In his younger days, he was a Youth Congress general secretary and also Rahul’s Doon School junior.
8. His wife, Neha Seth, was a former TOI and CNN IBN journalist and is also a culinary author, and sister Janhavi Prasad is a documentary filmmaker. This come to show that he likes to surround himself with versatile individuals.
9. His interests include bird watching, jungle safari, films, music and reading, has a taste for trying out different cuisines of the world and seeks recreation in interacting with friends.
10. He is a member of the India Habitat Center, Delhi, and Boat House Club, Nainital, and likes partaking in horse riding and water sports like rafting, rowing, yachting, besides soccer.
He is a mix of vintage and new. He believes that he has already been able to move towards the goals he had set for himself when he joined the government.
Uttar Pradesh is going to polls in 2017 and Prasada is known to be a good organisational leader and is close to party Vice President Rahul Gandhi which makes him one of the lead players in the upcoming elections. He has the political acumen, administrative experience and articulation to counter the Modi government on multiple issues and defend the track record of the Congress party.