- June 8, 2016
The quintessential local lad became the face of the youth for the Samajwadi Party, spearheading the campaign to bring the party back to power in the 2012 assembly elections. A loving husband and a doting father, Akhilesh Yadav has been the media baby since he took over the chair. His journey on cycle so long has been a vouch safe of his action and words.
Ten interesting facts about him:
- He is impressively educated. Hailing from one of the most disciplined Sainik Schools for young lads and graduating with a Bachelor of Engineering and Masters of Engineering in Civil Environment Engineering at the University of Mysore in Karnataka. He also has a Masters’ Degree in Environmental Engineering from the University of Sydney in Australia.
- He is the youngest chief minister of Uttar Pradesh (38), breaking the record of Mayawati, who was 39 when she entered office.
- He considers himself as first an environmentalist and then a politician. Akhilesh found his passion for nature and environment while perusing his Masters in environmental engineering. He used to list his profession on his official Lok Sabha bio data as Agriculturist, Engineer and Political and Social Worker.
- The fluent Hindi speaking neta has a diverse taste when it comes to music, as he counts, Guns N’ Roses, Bon Jovi, Queen, Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams and Metallica among his favorite musicians.
- Even though, he is highly educated, which gives him an edge over the other politicians, he is still superstitious when it comes to political jinxes. The most prominent one being the Noida jinx which UP CMs avoid due to the fear of losing their seat.
- He has been arrested once since the time he became a part of active politics, that too for a precautionary reason of keeping peace in the state and avoiding his protest rally.
- His most prominent act so far has been his ability to get the youth to rally on bicycles, going door to door before his Lok Sabha elections. His poll strategies have always been a breath of fresh air for the people of UP and Samajwadi Party.
- He is very vocal regarding his likes and dislikes and even talking about ideas that are opposite to his father, Mulayam Singh. Especially his love for English, FDI etc.
- Even though, he is criticized for not bringing much change in the state, he came up with many new reforms like Laptop Yojana, e-governance scheme, M-sehat app, Dial 100 service, Free Wi-Fi zones, Samajwadi pension Yojana, Kisan loan waiver scheme, online registration for various departments etc. and above all the introduction of Metro in Lucknow.
- He realizes the power of information technology to change our lives and launched an app for Samajwadi Party workers, twitter handle for Taj Mahal and himself available on social media websites like facebook, twitter to connect with people.
A new age Lohiaite in the making….